We’ve posted a guide about the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning and why it’s so important to have detectors in homes. Your rental properties should be no exception! If you’re not convinced, here is a more detailed article about what it is, what it does, and what you can do about it, courtesy of Unity Home Group at Keller Williams Alaska Realty Group:
Carbon Monoxide Safety: How to Protect Your Home, Identify Issues, and Respond to Emergencies
Here’s a great little excerpt, but we highly recommend that you click the link and read the entire page –
“Stay Educated, Stay Aware
Under the right conditions, carbon monoxide poisoning can happen anywhere, in any home. Being aware of the potential danger can help you protect yourself, your loved ones and the people & pets in your household.
If you and others in your household become mysteriously ill all at the same time, stop to ask yourself why. Keep carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your house and in strategic locations. Replace batteries annually, check the expiration dates and replace as needed.
If your carbon monoxide detector does go off, don’t assume that it’s a mistake. Get your family out of the house and work with the authorities to ensure that your house is safe.
Many government agencies provide information about carbon monoxide poisoning.
- Consumer Product Safety Commission, Carbon Monoxide Information Center
- U.S. Fire Administration, Carbon Monoxide Safety Outreach Materials
- Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA), Carbon Monoxide Fact Sheet
When the time comes to buy new carbon monoxide detectors, consider replacing old standard detectors with smart or digital devices, which provide more information about the conditions inside your house. If you have questions about the effects of carbon monoxide poisoning, talk to your doctor. If you’re worried about the condition of your appliances, talk to your appliance repair person or contractor. Following these tips could save your life and the life of the people you love.”